Emergency Decision Making Policies
Emergency Decision Making (2 days or more) Policy
- Emergency decisions can be made over email.
- Emergency decision making will follow the same consensus procedure as our regular decision making, except where changes have to be made to accommodate email communication, as detailed below.
- Emergency decisions will be made by the Collective.
- The Collective will consist of active members who wish to participate in this kind of decision making, and the list of members on the Collective will be updated regularly.
- A proposal can be put forth for consideration by the Collective by emailing the everyone on the Collective.
- Timeline: the proposal must be put forth at least 2 days in advance of the decision deadline, and before the next meeting (otherwise it should be discussed at the meeting).
- The Collective should only deal with real emergencies, something that can't wait - it shouldn't be something you simply forgot to bring up at a meeting.
- Proposals can amended and modified through discussion over email. Anyone participating in the discussion should "Reply All" so that everyone can see their input. We will eventually set up a proper mailing list to make this an easier process.
- A proposal will be passed when a quorum of members has emailed their assent or abstention, which can be signalled by expressing agreement, non-support, reservations, or standing aside (see consensus procedure for definitions)
- Quorum consists of half of the members of the Collective list (rounding down in case of an odd number) + 1. E.g. if there are 15 people on the list, quorum = 7.5+1, which rounds down to 8.
- If quorum is not reached the proposal cannot be passed.
- Any Collective member can block a proposal by explicitly stating in an email that they block the proposal.
Emergency Decision Making (under 2 days) Policy
- If a decision needs to be made in less than 2 days, the decision can be made by an RSSC member.
- A note must left in the Social Centre immediately, explaining the decision.
- A full explanation of the decision must be emailed to the Collective list as soon as possible, and not later than 24 hours after the decision has been made.
- All emergency decisions will be reviewed and discussed at the following Social Centre general meeting.